When engaging with a content marketing plan, the common questions that businesses ask include: How often do I need to update my content? How often should I be publishing new content and what is too much? The answer to this question is that “it depends.” There are many factors that affect the frequency in which companies should update their content.
How often should I be updating content?
There are two main factors that will affect how often you create and update content for your website. One of these factors depends on the type of business that you are in. If you are in a company that deals with B2B customers then creating new content on a daily basis may not be the right choice for you. However, if you deal in a B2C market and offer new products and services on a more frequent basis, then regular content updates are advised.
Another factor depends on the channel in which you plan to use for publishing content. If you are going to be using a social media channel like Twitter, for example, which is a conversation based channel then you will want to ensure that you are updating your content on a daily basis to ensure that your content reaches your current and potential customers.
If you plan on blogging regularly, it is a good idea to set an expectation with your readers from the start as to when they can expect to engage with your content. For most businesses, it is advised that one blog post a week is sufficient. In some cases, if your business is aiming to become a thought leader then it is recommended that you create and publish high quality and relevant content on a more frequent basis.
One way of finding out how often you should be publishing new content is to ask for your customers’ feedback. Send them a short email asking what information they are looking for and how often they would like to hear from you. This way, you know exactly how much content your audience will be comfortable with receiving.
What kind of content should I be updating and publishing?
When thinking about content creation, it is important to remember that website maintenance is a crucial part of any content marketing strategy. If your website content isn’t updated, it is very likely that Google will choose to ignore it. It will also give your users a bad impression if your website content is outdated. For the more static pages on your website such as the About Us and Contact pages, then regular updates are not necessary. However, if you have new products or services, make sure you update your website information to include these.
The following is a list of what you should be updating regularly:
- A blog – Every company should have a blog in order to voice opinions on, offer expertise and build credibility.
- News – There should be a running list of important announcements such as recent awards, innovations, new hires, new promotions and new products or services updated on your website.
- Staff directory – You should have a page on your site that includes photos and short bios of the key people that work for your company. This will give your customer a visual image of whom they will be interacting with.
- Home page – The home page of your website should always reflect any changes that were made within the site. If you published a blog post, put this on the home page. It is also important to change out any header images and to place calls-to-action (CTAs) on your home page.
- About page – These pages are the equivalent of your offline business cards. You need to ensure that all information is updated.
- FAQs – Frequently asked questions can be very helpful for your users in helping them to find the information they are looking for.
- Testimonials and Case Studies – Testimonials and case studies can be very beneficial for lead generation. The more up to date these are, the better impression you will give to potential customers.
- Keywords – Most importantly, you must always keep your keywords up to date. This is extremely vital for both your content marketing strategy and your search engine optimisation (SEO). If you don’t have the relevant and updated keywords on your website then it will be harder to attract users to your website.
Why having new content is important
Search engines, such as Google, love ‘fresh’ content. Google uses a ranking algorithm called Google Panda which identifies whether you have recently added new content to your website or not. Based on your website’s ‘freshness’ score, Google will give you website a boost in search engine results pages (SERPs). This ‘freshness’ score will decay over time therefore it is important to create new content regularly in order to increase your search ranking and to give your users a reason to visit your site again.
HAVE WE ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION?
Call us on (0)1 676 7926